Saturday, October 16, 2010

An Apple a Day....

I have been sorta on an APPLE kick lately. I have been lots of apples and trying different kinds. A friend suggested Honeycrisp Apples and I haven't been the same since. I LOVE THEM. Yummy. I think my baby in utero likes them too...
Since apples are in season and there are so many great prices on them right now I decided to buy a bunch and make some applesauce. I have never done this before so I did a little online research (love The Google) and watched some YouTube and enlisted the help of my dad. He is always excited about any canning project. Here are some pictures of my applesauce canning adventure.

I bought this awesome thing at the local thrift store (for $4.00) and it peels, cores, and slices my apples. What used to take like FOR EV ER now is super simple. You can get the same one from Pampered Chef but its a little more expensive.
After you have sliced or cubed your apples you want to cook them on the stove for about 20 minutes until they are soft. You will need to add a little water to the mixture so it kinda simmers the apples.

I blended my apple mush in a blender and added cinnamon and sugar. You don't really need to add anything beacuse the apples naturally give off sweetness but the cinnamon is a nice touch. Then I filled pint jars and processed then cold packed them to seal the jars. Love it.


I hope Kai likes applesauce because he will be eating lots of it. Now I am thinking about what other babytype foods I can make and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment