Monday, January 18, 2010

Shout out to Megan…


This is for my dearest cousin Megan (and probably the only blog reader I have)… I wanted to give you some tips on taking up knitting…


 
First off- visit two awesome sites for inspiration: here and here.

There are ONLY two stitches you need to know- the Garter Stitch and the Purl Stitch… if you good "Garter stitch" and "purl stitch" you will be linked to some awesome you tube videos and that will walk you through the motions.

Get good yarn… I prefer Lion Brand because its soft and cuddly and used it when I crocheted- you can buy this yarn at any craft store or online. To start go out and feel the yarns- you are going to be touching it all the time so make sure you really get a "feel" for it. Also… just a hint- rub it on your neck. This pretty scarf I made was out of Alpaca wool.


Now when I was touching it in the store it felt OH SO SOFT… once I actually had it around my neck- it itched (there went one month of knitting time)…

 

Get a recipe (pattern whatever you want to call it). Lionbrand.com has some great easy patterns to follow. I referred back to them all the time.

And when all else fails and if you are still confused as heck… talk to the lovely "Older" women at your church (which I did) and they will be more then happy to show you. Also… if you are left handed (which I am- suck it up and learn how to do it right handed).

Have fun lady... I have put the knitting needles up until next winter... here in Phoenix we just don't see enough coldness for scarfs and knitted hats.



No comments:

Post a Comment